The Oscar Grouch

Grumbling about the Awards I love to hate and hate to love.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

In Pursuit of Trivia

I just spent most of my day trying to answer these very difficult Oscar trivia questions... and it's not like I didn't have anything better to do, because I did... I just didn't get it done.

By far the toughest and most time-consuming question was this one:

In how many years has the Costume Design Oscar been given to a period movie (i.e. Ghandi) as opposed to a film set in present time?

First of all, the answer is complicated by the fact that for the first few decades, two Costume Design Oscars were handed out each year (one for Black & White, one for Color). So if both winners were period movies, does that count as one or two? And if only one of the two winners was a period movie, does that year count?

Second of all, I haven't seen most of the older movies, and a few I'd never heard of (Les Girls?), so I had to try to figure out through some online detective work when they were set - and not all of them were as obvious as Cleopatra or Doctor Zhivago. I'm still not convinced I'm right on all of them.

Third of all, by his definition, I'm not sure how to classify Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kings. Neither one is set in the present time, but neither one is set in a historical period. Lord of the Rings looks like a period movie, it's as long as a period movie and it's as boring as a period movie - but when exactly did Orcs roam the Earth? And Star Wars may take place a long time ago, but it's set in a galaxy far, far away.

Needless to say, my response to Mr. Levy will be quite detailed, covering all my bases to avoid missing out on account of a technicality.

I can't believe there's still three more questions to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com