The Oscar Grouch

Grumbling about the Awards I love to hate and hate to love.

Friday, February 25, 2005

The Oscar Grouch's 2005 Academy Award Predictions

Best Picture
Will Win: The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Million Dollar Baby
Dark Horse: Sideways
Who I’m Rooting For: Uh, I guess Sideways. Or Million Dollar Baby. Or The Aviator.

Best Directing
Will Win: Martin Scorsese, The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
Dark Horse: Alexander Payne, Sideways
Who I’m Rooting For: Martin Scorsese, The Aviator

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Will Win: Jamie Foxx, Ray
Potential Spoiler: Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
Dark Horse: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
Who I’m Rooting For: Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Will Win: Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Potential Spoiler: Annette Bening, Being Julia
Dark Horse: Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
Who I’m Rooting For: Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Will Win: Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
Potential Spoiler: Clive Owen, Closer
Dark Horse: Thomas Haden Church, Sideways
Who I’m Rooting For: Clive Owen, Closer

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Will Win: Cate Blanchett, The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Virginia Madsen, Sideways
Dark Horse: Natalie Portman, Closer
Who I’m Rooting For: Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

Best Adapted Screenplay
Will Win: Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor, Sideways
Potential Spoiler: Paul Haggis, Million Dollar Baby
Dark Horse: David Magee, Finding Neverland
Who I’m Rooting For: Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor, Sideways

Best Original Screenplay
Will Win: Charlie Kaufman & Michel Gondry & Pierre Bismuth, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Potential Spoiler: Mike Leigh, Vera Drake
Dark Horse: Keir Pearson & Terry George, Hotel Rwanda
Who I’m Rooting For: Charlie Kaufman & Michel Gondry & Pierre Bismuth, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Best Animated Feature
Will Win: The Incredibles
Potential Spoiler: Shrek 2
Dark Horse: A write-in win for The Polar Express
Who I’m Rooting For: Shrek 2

Best Foreign Language Film
Will Win: The Sea Inside
Potential Spoiler: Downfall
Dark Horse: The Chorus
Who I’m Rooting For: The Sea Inside (of the two I’ve seen)

Best Documentary Feature
Will Win: Born into Brothels
Potential Spoiler: Super Size Me
Dark Horse: Twist of Faith
Who I’m Rooting For: Born into Brothels (of the two I’ve seen)

Best Art Direction
Will Win: Rick Heinrichs (art direction) and Cheryl Carasik (set decoration), Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
Potential Spoiler: Dante Ferretti (art) and Francesca Lo Schiavo (set), The Aviator
Dark Horse: Aline Bonetto, A Very Long Engagement
Who I’m Rooting For: Aline Bonetto, A Very Long Engagement

Best Cinematography
Will Win: Robert Richardson, The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Caleb Deschanel, The Passion of The Christ
Dark Horse: Bruno Delbonnel, A Very Long Engagement
Who I’m Rooting For: Bruno Delbonnel, A Very Long Engagement

Best Costume Design
Will Win: Sandy Powell, The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Bob Ringwood, Troy
Dark Horse: Colleen Atwood, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
Who I’m Rooting For: Colleen Atwood, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events

Best Editing
Will Win: Thelma Schoonmaker, The Aviator
Potential Spoiler: Joel Cox, Million Dollar Baby
Dark Horse: Paul Hirsch, Ray
Who I’m Rooting For: Jim Miller and Paul Rubell, Collateral

Best Makeup
Will Win: Valli O’Reilly and Bill Corso, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
Potential Spoiler: Keith Vanderlaan and Christien Tinsley, The Passion of The Christ
Dark Horse: Jo Allen and Manuel Garcia, The Sea Inside
Who I’m Rooting For: Valli O’Reilly and Bill Corso, Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events

Best Original Score
Will Win: Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Finding Neverland
Potential Spoiler: John Debney, The Passion of The Christ
Dark Horse: John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Who I’m Rooting For: John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Best Original Song

Will Win: “Believe” from The Polar Express, Music and Lyric by Glen Ballard and Alan Silvestri
Potential Spoiler: “Learn To Be Lonely” from The Phantom of the Opera, Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Lyric by Charles Hart
Dark Horse: “Look to Your Path” from The Chorus, Music by Bruno Coulais, Lyric by Christophe Barratier
Who I’m Rooting For: Write-in votes for anything from Team America: World Police

Best Sound
Will Win: Kevin O’Connell, Greg P. Russell, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Joseph Geisinger, Spider-Man 2
Potential Spoiler: Tom Fleischman and Petur Hliddal, The Aviator
Dark Horse: Scott Millan, Greg Orloff, Bob Beemer and Steve Cantamessa, Ray
Who I’m Rooting For: Randy Thom, Tom Johnson, Dennis Sands and William B. Kaplan, The Polar Express

Best Sound Editing
Will Win: Paul N.J. Ottosson, Spider-Man 2
Potential Spoiler: Michael Silvers and Randy Thom, The Incredibles
Dark Horse: Randy Thom and Dennis Leonard, The Polar Express
Who I’m Rooting For: Randy Thom and Dennis Leonard, The Polar Express

Best Visual Effects
Will Win: John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara and John Frazier, Spider-Man 2
Potential Spoiler: John Nelson, Andrew R. Jones, Erik Nash and Joe Letteri, I, Robot
Dark Horse: Roger Guyett, Tim Burke, John Richardson and Bill George, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Who I’m Rooting For: John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara and John Frazier, Spider-Man 2

Best Animated Short Film
Will Win: Ryan
Potential Spoiler: Gopher Broke
Dark Horse: Lorenzo
Who I’m Rooting For: Ryan (of the three I’ve seen)

Best Live Action Short Film
Will Win: Little Terrorist
Potential Spoiler: Everything in This Country Must
Dark Horse: 7:35 in the Morning
Who I’m Rooting For: 7:35 in the Morning

Best Documentary Short Subject
Will Win: Autism Is a World
Potential Spoiler: Sister Rose’s Passion
Dark Horse: The Children of Leningradsky
Who I’m Rooting For: Haven’t seen any of these

4 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger s. said...

Oi. Excuse me. Best live-action short ilm.
Will win: Taika Waititi Two Cars, One NightThank you very much, thank you.

:P

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Alex said...

We agree on most, PCPD. So my Oscar picks are pretty close to yours.

Best Picture: The Aviator

Best Director: Clint Eastwood

Best Actor: Foxx

Best Actress: Swank

S. Actor: Freeman

S. Actress: V. Madsen

Adapted Screenplay: Sideways

Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine

Animated Feature: Shrek II

Foreign Language Feature: Downfall

Best Doc: Brothels

Art Direction: Aviator

Cinematography: The Passion

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger McBean said...

You did pretty good.

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello The Pop Culture Petri Dish, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title The Oscar Grouch's 2005 Academy Award Predictions. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse videos related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse videos related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse videos. Thank you and I wish you well .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com